We now have 3 dedicated areas of working at Hot Bed Press where we have the following equipment and resources available:
- Rochat etching press; bed size 26″ x 48″
- Rochat etching press; bed size 21″ x 42″
- Hawthorne Etching Press x Bed 16″ x 36″
- 2 hot plates
- Traditional resin aquatint booth
- Ferric and nitric etching facilities
- Full range of etching needles, burnishers and roulettes for members to use
- 4 x vacuum screen beds 42″ x 65″
- 2 x vacuum screen bed (small with angled bed)
- 1 large Kippax screen bed with a mesh size of 29″ x 38″ (external dimensions fit our exposure unit exactly)
- 130 screens available for use (65T mesh to 110T mesh)
- All in one exposure unit 36″ x 46″ in a dedicated darkroom
- Washout unit with power hose
- Various coating troughs
Relief printing and letterpress
- Large Albion relief press platten size 20″ x 26″
- Small Albion relief press platten size 16″ x 20″
- A large selection of lead type (up to 24pt)
- 5 Adana letter presses A4 & A3 Nipping presses
- selection of bone folders, knives and book arts sundries
- 40 plan chests available for members to store work at just £1 a month
- plus 5 large plan chests available for membrs with large work for £2 a month
- 12 storage containers for members to store their own ink and tools for £1 a month
- Full range of woodcut, and lino tools
We have a large range of specialist printmaking papers including:
Inks and sundries
We also have a full range of inks from relief, etching, screenprint and even letterpress. Members pay for material on a sliding scale dependant on how much they use. We try to keep prices as close to ‘at cost’ as possible to make it as affordable to members as possible.
Zinc, and lino are available as well as aluminium, Japanese rubber for relief printing. Plus we hve a range of book cloth and bookram courtesy of Ratchfords Book Arts Supplies.
We have accumulated lots of equipment from various sources over the years without which we would not be operating to the size and scale we are today.
We thank the following for their contributions to our equipment:
Manchester Metroplolitan University; (the wonderful letterpress facility including type and a small but perfectly formed albion, plus small screen bed),
Liverpool John Moores University; (etching booth, aquatint booth and water bath),
People Print in Rochdale; (the washout unit,screen bed and rack).
Wirral Metropolitan College; (a small screen bed)
Two individuals have loaned us Rochat Presses, one of which is now very generously ours, whilst the large Rochat is on a two year loan.
Other individuals have donated Adanas and letterpress equipment and in 2008 one anonymous benefactor gave us £1,000 to invest in equipment which we invested in essential new racking a sink and new etching blankets.